As an entrepreneur, it is easy to be paralyzed with fear. But guess what, success is all about taking that leap of faith. I’ve met a lot of folks who have long thought of starting a business, yet never had the opportunity nor the time to actually start it. Some just talks and talks about wanting to start a business yet never could find the time to squeeze it in their current lives. Others seem content to put their dreams in the backburner of their lives.
If you don’t start that business you’ve always dreamed of, you have failed. If you don’t buckle down and write your book, then you failed. Hockey great Wayne Gretzky said it best, “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” Failure isn’t missing, failure is never trying.
Success is not just about dreaming. It starts by conquering your fear and taking that first step. It is about crushing your fear of trying out something new. Here are 10 ways to overcome your fear when starting a business:
- Empower yourself with knowledge
- Remember why you want to start a business
- Write down your reasons for starting a business
- Start the business part-time
- Be realistic with your expectations
- Align your goals with your resources
- Take a break
- Build relationships and support system
- Face your fears
- Believe in yourself and in your business.