.Starting a business can be very overwhelming, and there will be lots of moments when you will feel lost or unsure of what strategies to pursue. In times like this, a mentor is most useful.
Mentors can be other entrepreneurs or business person who can give you advice of what works, based on their own experiences and knowledge. Having someone to guide you, give you counsel, even open doors for you and introduce you to customers and financing resources is literally, heaven-sent.
If you are looking for a mentor to help you navigate the process of starting a business, check up SCORE. It is a volunteer program composed mostly of retired executives and entrepreneurs.
From SCORE, here are five tips to help you jumpstart a new business:
- Create a brand. Spend a little money to create a professional logo, business card and stationery. Present a professional image.
- Ramp up Online. Make creating a Web site a top priority. A Web site is today’s calling card. You really shouldn’t do without one. Give people a place to go to learn about your business.
- Make Your First Sale. This is key. Get that first sale even if it’s friends or family at a discounted rate. This counts as getting started, so go for it.
- Promote Testimonials. Get testimonials from your first sales. Start building credibility for your business from day one.
- Build Buzz. Be creative. Look for a special promotion, big event, email campaign or something out of the norm for your business to get people talking about you, your product or service