.One of the first big challenges in starting a business – whether a large or one-person business, online or brick-and-mortar — is not the writing of the business plan, looking for funding, setting up the office nor opening of the bank account. It is the process of searching and choosing the right business name.
Mashable.com offers the following tips in choosing the perfect name for your startup business:
- Brainstorm a list of keywords that relate to your blog, website or company
- Experiment: compound words, blend together words, add affixes, make up words, or use phrases
- Decide whether you want to use a descriptive name, which can be simple and intuitive, but can sound generic, boring, even limiting.
- Consider using a made-up word, which can fun and set you apart from the crowd, but will require putting in more money to get the word out initially.
- Check if the domain name is still available
- Look for business names that sound good, making them more memorable
- Find simple names that are easy to pronounce, easy to understand when you hear it, easy to spell, and easy to know the pronounciation when you see it.
- Forget the rules, grab the thesaurus and get going.
For more information on choosing the best business name, read Tips on Choosing a Business Name